[XeTeX] Building xdvipdfmx on the Mac (was Re: Incompatibility between footmisc and xltxtra)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Feb 25 15:20:37 CET 2008

Am 25.02.2008 um 13:49 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

>    --with-ft2lib=LIB       use freetype2 library LIB
>    --with-ft2include=DIR   use freetype2 include files from DIR
>    --with-freetype2=DIR    use installed freetype2 include & lib files
> from DIR

	Jonathan,

	could you make build-xetex also build the dylib version of
libfreetype that xetex uses (libs/freetype2/builds/unix/freetype-
config.in)? Then both programmes could use the same version ...

> Personally I'll just forget about all this and wait for the release of
> TeXLive-2008.

In Germany it's almost summer, so there's a feeling coming up of
being close to the TeX Live 2009 release party!

With Fink xdvipdfmx can still be built. In December the configure
script was changed that it has become a bit more complicated to
configure the software build process. For me it worked recently with
this command line:

	./configure --with-kpathsea=../Work/texk/kpathsea/.libs --prefix=/
usr/local/gwTeX --with-freetype2=/sw/lib/freetype219

The latter looks pretty useless because it does not help to find the
C header file ft2build.h, and indeed it can be omitted. Libkpathsea
is reused from XeTeX. The important thing for me is to set the right
values for environment variables CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS (this one needs to
contain in my case -I/sw/lib/freetype219/include -I/sw/lib/
freetype219/include/freetype2 that ft2build.h is found, in your case
it could be used to point to the PNG C header files), and LDFLAGS.

Anyway, xdvipdfmx is quite stable. It is not as often updated as
xetex ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Math illiteracy affects 7 out of every 5 Americans.