[XeTeX] Hebrew with Xetex

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Feb 19 15:57:05 CET 2008

On 19 Feb 2008, at 11:50 am, Erwin Ochsenmeier wrote:

> Here is a sample file with the code used and the problems highlighted

With regard to the position of the HIRIQ dot under YOD, I believe
XeTeX is using the precomposed glyph provided in SBL Hebrew (and
mapped to U+FB1D). The dot here is raised close to the YOD, whereas
the attachment point for a separate dot glyph is kept low.

XeTeX is justified in doing this because the Unicode character U+FB1D
is defined as being canonically equivalent to the sequence <U+05D9, U
+05B4>. It is an inconsistency in the font if the rendering of the
sequence and the precomposed character is not the same; the two
representations of the text are by definition synonymous and should
be indistinguishable.

Regarding the positioning of METEG, I'm not sure what is going on
here; it would require some analysis of the OpenType tables in the
font to see why it's not behaving as expected.