[XeTeX] [unimath] Re: Should xelatex have its own kernel? (was: "Conflict between xunicode and fontspec?")

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Feb 8 06:30:12 CET 2008

Le 8 févr. 08 à 02:19, Will Robertson a écrit :

> On 08/02/2008, at 11:19 AM, Joel C. Salomon wrote:
>
>> I've been favorably impressed by Murray Sargent's "Nearly Plain-Text
>> Encoding of Mathematics" (http://unicode.org/notes/tn28/); perhaps
>> the
>> copy-and-pasteable text in the PDF file should be (mostly) compatible
>> with that.
>
> I do agree that the least amount of markup without losing
> information is the best way to input maths. His encoding is a good
> system but completely incompatible, at this stage, of how (La)TeX
> does maths.
>
>> (I could be wrong about all this, of course, but that's my reading of
>> Murray's paper.  Will, you want to ask him directly?)
>
> I'm unfortunately not in contact with him.

Motivated by reading the first version of that paper (the URL was
posted to this list on April 2006), I was willing to give a try to the
new math capabilities of MS Office (the paper describes the new math
input system of Office 2007 for Windows) versus those of TeX.

Accordingly, I just got Office 2008 for the Mac, hoping that these
capabilities would be implemented in it as well. Alas they don't seem
to be there, and the Mac version seems to still entirely rely on
Equation Editor. Did I miss something?

Bruno Voisin