[XeTeX] Polyglossia and Spanish

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Thu Feb 7 10:32:51 CET 2008

Yves Codet a écrit :
> Hello.
>
> I would like to ask a question, out of mere ignorance, about a detail
> of Spanish formatting.
> <...>
> "... el primer párrafo tras el título no se compone de forma
> especial. Esto último implica que, a menos que se use el nuevo
> spanish, conviene cargar el paquete indentfirst."
>
> Is the current behaviour of Polyglossia intended? Does it correspond
> to another norm?

Polyglossia does not follow any special norm at this stage. I just took
what was in antomega and babel, leaving out much of the advanced stuff
for later. So what we currently have in most gloss-files is a basic
implementation with hyphenation, translation of strings, and sometimes
some other more or less complex features.

BTW Javier Bezos has recently uploaded his new package spanish-babel on
CTAN:
    http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/language/spanish/babel
Its documentation (incidentally formatted without any paragraph
indentation) appears to be excellent and it also gives references to
various manuals of Spanish typography, so you may want to have a look.

Adapting this package to polyglossia is indeed on my TODO list ;)

François