[XeTeX] Polyglossia and Spanish

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 7 10:04:46 CET 2008

I think this is largely a matter of (changing) aesthetic preference, not
just in Spanish.  A guidebook will give recommendations, of course, but
these are for the convenience of people seeking a rule to follow.  Just as a
historical note, at Oxford University Press in the days of hot-metal setting
the convention was that sideheadings were followed by paragraph indentation,
whereas centred headings were followed by flush-left text; that was
abandoned decades ago, but the decision is essentially arbitrary and not
hardwired into any 'rules' that have to be followed.

'Spanish' of course covers a wide spectrum:  the current conventions for
capitalizing book titles differ somewhat between mainland Spain and South
America, for example.

Best

John