[XeTeX] Conflict between xunicode and fontspec?

Julien ÉLIE iulius at via.ecp.fr
Wed Feb 6 21:03:40 CET 2008

Hi Arthur,

> I take it you really typed a no-break space in your input file; it's
> not present in your e-mail, though.  I guess it has been transformed
> into a regular space character by your e-mail agent

Yes they were.  I do not know why but both Windows Mail and Thunderbird
transform 0x00A0 to 0x0020 as soon as they are typed or pasted.

> (and the latin-1 characters have been converted to quoted-printable, too)

Yes, but it is not a problem of the e-mail agent.  It is the mailman run
by tug.org which does that!
It converts these characters to QP, even in your message by the way:
<20080205011234.GE28560 at phare.normalesup.org>.
And my last message <fod313$lpn$1 at ger.gmane.org> encoded in UTF-8 was
even converted to base64...

> next time you want to show a sample, use an attached file.

All right.

> But you should realize that
> a part of fontspec's job is to do the same actions for XeLaTeX as do
> inputenc and fontenc for traditional LaTeX, and you shouldn't think of
> it as a complement to the latter packages, but really as a replacement

I agree.

> (after all, XeLaTeX without any package isn't really useful at all; just
> compare the two attached files: they demonstrate how fontspec takes over
> the task of inputenc + fontenc, and this is how you should understand
> it).

I understand.  Thanks for the samples.

>> It depends on the sentence.  This one should be better for translations :)
>
> But it's not by Goscinny :-D  http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Odyssée_d'Astérix

Au temps pour moi. Vous avez tout à fait raison !

--
Julien ÉLIE

« L'éternité, c'est long, surtout vers la fin. » (Woody Allen)