[XeTeX] Hyphenation problem solved!

ashinpan at gmail.com ashinpan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 12:48:08 CET 2008

Dear JK

You wrote:
> Looking at the TeX source, I see that these are present in the input
> text as "soft hyphen" characters, U+00AD. Perhaps your editor is
> inserting these automatically, and you don't see them on screen while
> editing?

> I think you want to do one of three possible things:
>
> (a) remove the "soft hyphens" from the input text, and prevent your
> editor inserting them; just rely on TeX's hyphenation patterns where
> necessary
>
> (b) if that's difficult, you could cause TeX to ignore them by
> "defining them away":
>
>      \catcode"AD=\active  \def^^ad{}
>
> (c) if you want them to act as discretionary hyphens, overriding
> whatever hyphenation points TeX might find automatically in those
> words, then define them as TeX discretionaries:
>
>      \catcode"AD=\active  \def^^ad{\-}

Out of the three options above, the latter two work, but not the first
one. I am using TexMaker as my editor and it seems to be automatically
adding hyphens without bothering to let me know from the screen.
Anyhow, either of the two lines of code you have provided has solved
the problem.

John

you wrote:
> I don't know about the intricacies of Babel and so on - so far I have
> confined myself to using plain TeX.  But I can certainly say that all of the
> hyphenations you have listed would normally be considered acceptable/correct
> by modern conventions:

Yes, you are absolutely rightly. But my problem is those good hyphens
randomly appearing mid-line, not at line-breaks which are their proper
places. Anyhow, thanks a lot for your patient explanation.

with respect and thanks

Ven. Pandita