[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx problem with truetype font (Gill Sans)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Feb 2 14:13:47 CET 2008

Am 02.02.2008 um 11:54 schrieb Bernhard Barkow:

> Linotype FontExplorer X did not report any conflicts, but activating/
> deactivating all and reactivating them without conflicts seemed to
> solve the issue:

Yes, this seems to be the cause. When I re-activate the PostScript
fonts, xdvipdfmx fails again with:

	Error 256 (driver return code) generating output;
	file Bugs.pdf may not be valid.

while xdv2pdf succeeds, because it simply relies on what Mac OS X
provides. And this is not the PostScript font, according to its
preference for more elaborate fonts.

Seems xdvipdfmx receives a font description and assumes by default
it's TrueType or OpenType. When it loads the font file it can't find
the Identity-H and other information and fails. Could be xdvipdfmx
just needs some code to work exactly with what it has loaded – at
least it can handle PostScript fonts when they were loaded via the
MAP file, as with

	\usepackage{fourier}

When I deactivate GillSans.dfont's TrueType fonts (and leave the
PostScript fonts activated) then xdvipdfmx still fails. Without good
reason, IMO.

After all I am still a bit puzzled: pdffonts tells me the Fourier and
Utopia fonts used are PostScript Type 1C ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

              ~  O
              ~  O  o