[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx problem with truetype font (Gill Sans)

Bernhard Barkow bb at creativeeyes.at
Sat Feb 2 11:54:24 CET 2008

A short follow-up:

On 2008-02-02, at 11:20, Bernhard Barkow wrote:
> On 2008-02-01, at 21:56, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>>
>> Mine came with my PostScript 3 laser printer Mac OS 9 and Jaguar (Mac
>> OS X 10.2). Although I don't know where GillSans.dfont comes from ...
>> isn't it part of Mac OS X 10.4? If no-one can answer, I'll look into
>> the BOM files. Some day!
> […]
> GillSan
> GillSanBol
> […]
>
>> Linotype FontExplorer X tells me that the /Library/Fonts/
>> PostScript 3/
>> GillSan* files are the PostScript font files. With /Library/Fonts/
>> PostScript 3/Gill Sans* it can't work – unknown format, probably the
>> screen font suitcases. Linotype FontExplorer X tells me the same
>> about the deactivated Gill Sans PostScript fonts.

Linotype FontExplorer X did not report any conflicts, but activating/
deactivating all and reactivating them without conflicts seemed to
solve the issue:
xelatex works in both cases, but xdvipdfmx fails when two instances
of one font are activated (e.g. the Gill Sans Light from the .dfont
and GillSanLig).
It is a bit hard to reconstruct this now (I should have stored the
font list before, stupid), but maybe one of the Type 1 fonts got
activated due to some application requesting it (e.g., FontExplorer
is set to allow font requests by PhotoShop automatically). Pete,
maybe you could double-check this with your configuration? (i.e., are
there really no potential conflicts in the whole Gill Sans family?)

Bernhard