[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx problem with truetype font (Gill Sans)

Bernhard Barkow bb at creativeeyes.at
Sat Feb 2 11:20:20 CET 2008

[what follows is quite redundant with Pete's post, but since I stated
the original question, I thought I should at least provide some
information from my system]

On 2008-02-01, at 21:56, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 01.02.2008 um 18:09 schrieb Jonathan Kew:
>
>> I'd be interested to know how your Gill Sans fonts are packaged...
>> are they in an old-style "suitcase" file, a .dfont file,
>> individual .ttf files, or what? (Are there perhaps multiple versions
>> around, in different Fonts folders?)
>
> Mine came with my PostScript 3 laser printer Mac OS 9 and Jaguar (Mac
> OS X 10.2). Although I don't know where GillSans.dfont comes from ...
> isn't it part of Mac OS X 10.4? If no-one can answer, I'll look into
> the BOM files. Some day!

Yes, I'm quite sure they are from OS X distribution - MD5 hash =
06e5b8382cc402e57f3e852d605c1ec4, the same as in the other posts.
I can't remember where the Type 1 fonts are from, either from an
Adobe package (CS, CS3?) or also from a printer disk. Usually I have
them deactivated to avoid conflicts, since the .dfont was sufficient
so far; I only tried them explicitly in XeTeX when the others did not
work.
They are probably the same as yours (Monotype, Adobe):
GillSan
GillSanBol
GillSanBolCon
GillSanBolIta
GillSanCon
GillSanExtBol
GillSanIta
GillSanLig
GillSanLigIta
GillSanUltBol
GillSanUltBolCon

PostScript names are "GillSans-Light" etc., the unique names
"Monotype - Gill Sans MT Light; 5.0d2" etc. (only for the .dfont, the
PostScript fonts don't have unique names ("Not available"; my
knowledge is too limited to think about the reason or consequence of
that…).

Bernhard