[XeTeX] Problem installing XeTeX on OS X with Darwinports

Todd Lehman tsl at tsl.bu.edu
Fri Apr 11 05:39:55 CEST 2008

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Will Robertson wrote:
> On 11/04/2008, at 11:06 AM, Todd Lehman wrote:
> >  \font\agp="Adobe Garamond Pro" at 14pt \agp
> [or]
> >  \setromanfont{Adobe Garamond Pro}
> >  This is a test.
>
> Both of these examples you gave should have worked. The red text thing
> in the second implies that you didn't actually load a font.

Thanks, Will.  It turned out to be cockpit error; I hadn't installed the
font correctly.  Both examples work now.

> In the first case you shouldn't have even got red text -- XeTeX would
> either load the font or complain. Can you double check those results?

I just re-ran it with a font that I don't have:

   \font\gfp="Glorbleflorb Pro" at 14pt \gfp
   This is a test.

and the console is (correctly) showing an error this time:

   ! Font \gfp="Glorbleflorb Pro" at 14.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM)
   file or installed font not found.
   I.20 \font\gfp="Glorbleflorb Pro" at 14pt
                            \gfp
   ?

I'm not quite sure how to reproduce the original result without
uninstalling the fonts.  I'll try that...

OK, very strange!---I uninstalled Adobe Garamond Pro (by dragging it from
my Library/Fonts folder to my Desktop)---and now I am getting the red text
again.  Here's a screenshot if you're curious...

   http://jadzia.bu.edu/~tsl/temp/XeLaTeX-screenshot.png

But it \em{does} work fine if the font is installed.

--Todd

p.s.  This is on Mac OS X 10.5.2 on a PowerPC Dual G5 if that makes any
difference.