[XeTeX] Problem installing XeTeX on OS X with Darwinports

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Apr 11 07:47:30 CEST 2008

Le 11 avr. 08 à 03:36, Todd Lehman a écrit :

> Thanks so much, guys!!  I uninstalled the texlive package via
> Darwinports,
> and then downloaded and installed MacTeX from tug.org, and I am up and
> running.

Beware: MacPorts puts its /opt/local/bin and /opt/local/sbin at the
beginning of the search path. Standard path for a Mac on which only
MacTeX is installed is:

$ echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin

/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin is OS X's default, /usr/
X11/bin comes from Apple's X11, and /usr/texbin from MacTeX.

With MacPorts still in place, you should have /opt/local/bin and /opt/
local/sbin at the start of the path. Hence, if not everything TeX-
related installed by MacPorts has been fully uninstalled, you may have
remaining MacPorts pieces taking precedence over the MacTeX pieces,
creating the problems you still observe for XeTeX.

Also, depending on whether you're on Tiger (OS X 10.4) or Leopard (OS
X 10.5), beware the way in which PATH is constructed has changed:

- On Tiger, it was by editing /etc/profile and /etc/csh.login.

- On Leopard, it is by adding files in /etc/path.d, one per element to
add.

Bruno Voisin