[XeTeX] Using tipa.sty with XeLaTeX

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Tue Sep 11 01:18:37 CEST 2007

> Is that a typo?  U+02D1 is a modifier letter (half triangular colon) .
> Did you mean  U+0291  LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH CURL ?

  No, the other typo ;-) He meant U+021D LATIN SMALL LETTER YOGH.

> I'm no expert, but it seems from Arthur's message that IPA itself
> draws no distinction between ezh and yogh .

  Yes, but unfortunately Unicode does and since tipa.sty has introduced
the confusion it's not easy to lift it (what if a XeTeX user really
wants to type a Unicode yogh? \textyogh would yield an ezh which looks
different). Of course backward compatiblity is important but ...

> Within  xunicode.sty  I just tried to make macro definitions that
> would allow documents using  tipa.sty  to work adequately in XeLaTeX.

  Sure.

  I will have a look at the IPA part of xunicode in the next days. Let's
hope the phonetic symbols raise less nationalistic fever than last time ...

	Arthur