[XeTeX] Using tipa.sty with XeLaTeX

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Sep 11 01:58:45 CEST 2007

Hi Arthur,

On 11/09/2007, at 9:18 AM, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

>> Is that a typo?  U+02D1 is a modifier letter (half triangular
>> colon) .
>> Did you mean  U+0291  LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH CURL ?
>
>   No, the other typo ;-) He meant U+021D LATIN SMALL LETTER YOGH.

OK. With you now.  :-)

>> I'm no expert, but it seems from Arthur's message that IPA itself
>> draws no distinction between ezh and yogh .
>
>   Yes, but unfortunately Unicode does and since tipa.sty has
> introduced
> the confusion it's not easy to lift it (what if a XeTeX user really
> wants to type a Unicode yogh? \textyogh would yield an ezh which looks
> different). Of course backward compatiblity is important but ...

OK.
So surely one thing that should be done is to let the TIPA active-Z
be defined as something else, say  \textezh , which should give  U
+02D1 .
This frees up  \textyogh  for its *correct* meaning, and still gives
TIPA users the correct character when using shorthands.

This is what  xunicode  was meant to do, but I forgot to define
\textezh .
Good thing, in a sense, else this discussion would not be taking
place. :-)

If \textyogh is already used directly in existing TIPA documents,
then the desired glyph can be recovered using:

    \AtBeginDocument{\let\textyogh\textezh}

perhaps given as the result of a package-option [yogh] to
xunicode.sty  .
(Such documents cannot want  \textyogh  for both glyphs!)

>> Within  xunicode.sty  I just tried to make macro definitions that
>> would allow documents using  tipa.sty  to work adequately in XeLaTeX.
>
>   Sure.
>
>   I will have a look at the IPA part of xunicode in the next days.
> Let's
> hope the phonetic symbols raise less nationalistic fever than last
> time ...

Variations on the above trick probably can be employed in other
situations
too;  e.g.  \textgamma  or  \textbabygamma
             \textbeta  or  \ss
             \textvarepsilon  or  \textrevepsilon

and there are some macros defined in  tipa.sty  where I just didn't know
what was the correct letter;  e.g.
     is  \textlhtlongi   U+0196  or  U+01AA  or something else ?

These macro names appear on commented lines in  xunicode.sty  .

> 	Arthur

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au