[XeTeX] Opticals and math fonts

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 15:19:00 CET 2007

On 30/10/2007, at 23:43 , Enrico Rossi wrote:

> 1. Are XeTeX and fontspec sufficiently clever to automatically pick
> out the correct optical font from a family? It doesn't seem that way,
> but it's hard to tell.

Yes, but by default you'll be relying on what "the font thinks best".
There are instructions in the manual about how to customise it within
fontspec, however.

> 2. The Computer Modern Roman math fonts don't look good with many
> reasonable body fonts. For example, I'm trying to use Adobe Warnock,
> and the combination is quite ugly. Is it possible to have XeTeX use
> the main roman font's italics for math? Warnock Pro also contains
> greeks, so many symbols could be covered.

Not at this stage. It would be nice, I guess. I have it in mind for a
package I'm developing. In cases like this (in the meantime), you
might like to load the Euler math fonts:
     \usepackage{eulervm}
or  \usepackage{euler}

(Use the former if it works...it'll depend on your installation and
platform. In short, use it if you've got the xdvipdfmx driver going
with XeTeX. The Mac OS X--only xdv2pdf will only accept the latter.)

They're much bolder (albeit unconventional) than the defaults.

Hope this helps,
Will