[XeTeX] Opticals and math fonts

Andrew Moschou andmos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 15:53:02 CET 2007

Since \mathrm and \mathit (and \textrm and \textit) take the specified
font, I suppose you can very crudely redefine some commands:

\renewcommand{\alpha}{\mathit{α}}
\renewcommand{\beta}{\mathit{β}}
\renewcommand{\gamma}{\mathit{γ}}
\renewcommand{\Gamma}{\mathrm{Γ}}

and create others using \mathbin and \mathrel to identify binary
operators and relations:

\newcommand{\plus}{\mathbin{\textrm{+}}}
\newcommand{\equal}{\mathrel{\textrm{=}}}

It's certainly not ideal but it will get you somewhere.

Andrew