[XeTeX] Usage problem

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Nov 23 22:03:40 CET 2007

Hello Ali,

On 23 Nov 2007, at 3:36 pm, Ali Majdzadeh wrote:

> Jonathan,
> Thanks in advance. I am totally new to TeX and I have chosen XeTeX
> to start. Thanks again for your attention. By the way, should I
> post error messages I faced during the install process in Redhat 9?

It depends. If you were trying to install with Redhat's teTeX, the
simple answer is that this is no longer supported, and I don't think
we should spend much time on it. (In particular, I'm not going to set
up a teTeX system to reproduce and solve problems.) If you have
suggested patches that would help, and not disrupt other things,
they'd be welcome, but I don't have the resources to do much
investigation of this.

My recommendation would be to use TeX Live, either by installing the
TeX Live distribution directly (in which case problems should be
reported to the TeX Live team), or via your distribution's package
system, if available (in which case problems should be reported to
the packagers). Either way, you should be able to get XeTeX as part
of a standard TeX Live installation.

Finally, if you're building XeTeX from source yourself, e.g., because
you need a newer version than TeX Live provides, and have problems
installing the new version into a current TeX Live system, it would
be helpful to see those errors and any suggested improvements.
There's a script in the xetex repository that attempts to install a
newly-built version, but I'm sure it could use some work.

Thanks,