[XeTeX] Usage problem

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Nov 19 20:15:09 CET 2007

On 19 Nov 2007, at 7:03 pm, Ali Majdzadeh wrote:

> Hello Axel
> Thanks for your attention. Unfortunately, the following command
> shows nothing:
> kpsewhich xetex.fmt
> I still search and search, but all the guidelines are Mac-specific.
> I use Redhat Linux 9 and it had LateX previously installed. I
> modified the configure script located in XeTeX source tree and
> specified the right path to texmf, but nothing changed.
> I don't know whether Tex Live can solve the problem.

Hello Ali,

Sorry I didn't respond to this before; I have been away and just
returned home today.

I suspect that something in the teTeX configuration needs to be
updated for xetex, but we could probably get more clues if you try
manually building the format files with

     fmtutil --byfmt xetex

     fmtutil --byfmt xelatex

and see what output you get. I expect these will give error messages,
and looking at the actual errors may make it clear where the problem
lies.

Alternatively, if you can move from teTeX to TeX Live, I think you'll
probably have better success, as this is a more up-to-date and
supported system.