[XeTeX] fontspec and multilingual documents

Mark Eli Kalderon eli at markelikalderon.com
Sun Nov 4 19:13:04 CET 2007

I am new to xetex and am really enjoying it. Thanks!

Quick question about the preferred method of using the fontspec
package typesetting multilingual documents. I need to typeset
something in English and Japanese. Is there a nice way to set the
default font features for both the Latin fonts and for Hiragana? If I
use \setmainfont to set the default font features for the Latin font,
say, what would be the best way to set the default font features for
the Hiragana? Is there a more efficient way to do this other than
using \newfontfamily to create a macro and apply it to every instance
of Hiragana?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

All the best, Mark