[XeTeX] Super/subscript with fontspec

Peter Baker psb6m at virginia.edu
Sun May 27 12:22:43 CEST 2007

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 27 May 2007, at 8:29 am, Thomas Thackery wrote:
>

>> I can not get fontspec to produce super- or subscripts (i.e. Superior
>> and Inferior respectively in fontspec).  What is  missing from this
>> command: {\fontspec[VerticalPosition=Superior]{Junicode}{ some text
>> here }
>>

> This is only expected to work if the font defines the "superiors"
> feature for the particular characters in your text. I haven't looked
> at Junicode lately, but some OpenType fonts define this only for a
> small subset of the character set (e.g., only for the digits).
>
> JK

That's it: Junicode defines super- and subscripts only for digits and
the few other characters in the Unicode Super- and Subscripts range, and
those only in the Regular style, and in recent releases of the font. If
you want more, you're better off scaling and then raising or lowering
existing glyphs.

Peter Baker