[XeTeX] "Missing" system fonts

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri May 25 14:11:25 CEST 2007

	Hello John,

> Obviously there is no TFM file; but the fonts are installed, and the
> XeTeX macro is using the correct names for them. Any ideas what might
> be happening?

  I seem to have the same sort of problem (on Mac OS Tiger as well), and
after opening the Courier fonts in FontForge, my guess would be be that
you named the roman font with the same name as the whole family
(“Courier IndUni” in both cases); on the contrary, in the case of Times,
for example, the family is called “Times IndUni”, and the roman font
“Times IndUni-Regular”, which of course is the right thing to do.

  You should probably reedit the Courier fonts and the other family that
didn't work with XeTeX, and alter the name of the roman font because
it's quite clear that it is a source of confusion.

  As a side note, when I look at the Courier font in the Font Book I see
small bullets next to it (do you see them as well?), which, as a rule of
thumb, indicate problems with the fonts, judging by my own experience of
manipulating fonts. So Font Book acknowledges that there is some
problem, and trying to get rid of it might be a good start ;-)

	Yours,

		Arthur