[XeTeX] "Missing" system fonts

John Smith jds10 at cam.ac.uk
Fri May 25 12:57:34 CEST 2007

Hey, I'm really glad for John Was that *he* is getting good advice for
his problems. But I posted the original request for help, and it seems
to have been accidentally hijacked. My problem is that certain fonts
on my Mac OS X Tiger system seem to be invisible to XeTeX, though
FontBook and even Word are happy to use them. Running fc-cache has no
effect on this.

Here's the key part of my original posting.

<--snip-->

There are lookalikes for Times, New Century Scoolbook, Palatino,
Helvetica and Courier (they are based on the freeware fonts released
by URW++).

All five typefaces are installed on my MacBook Pro. All five appear in
FontBook. All five are usable within Word. The first three work fine
with XeteX. But if I try to use the Helvetica or Courier fonts, XeTeX
tells me it cannot find them:

  ! Font \bigrm=Courier_IndUni at 15.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
  or installed font not found.
  <to be read again>
                     \font
  \usecourier ...igrm ="Courier_IndUni" at15pt\font
                                                    \bigit
						    ="Courier_IndUni-Ob...
  l.31 \usecourier

-- and so forth.

Obviously there is no TFM file; but the fonts are installed, and the
XeTeX macro is using the correct names for them. Any ideas what might
be happening?

John Smith

--
Dr J. D. Smith