[XeTeX] Using hebrew

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Mar 6 17:16:50 CET 2007

On 6 Mar 2007, at 3:45 pm, Yaniv Hollander wrote:

> I tried your example but it did not work. The \setmainfont command
> is not recognizable...
> I'm using TexShop, and typeset the example bellow using XeLatex.

If you post the actual log output, we'd have a better chance of
seeing what is going wrong. What is the actual error you get?

One possibility: try \setromanfont instead of \setmainfont. This was
the original name for the fontspec command, and \setmainfont was
added more recently (because the "main" body font might not be Roman
at all!). Perhaps you have an older copy of fontspec.sty somewhere?

However, I have another guess, too: I just realized that my example
included the TeXShop header line:

>> %!TEX TS-program = xelatex-x

which refers to a custom version of the xelatex "engine" that I use.
As you don't have an engine with that exact name, this line was
probably ignored, and I'm not sure what TeXShop would do then;
perhaps run the default pdflatex instead.

So try changing this to the standard engine:

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex

and see if that makes any difference. If not, show us the log output
so we can see exactly what's happening.