[XeTeX] Proper mapping for ? in bibliography - {\'\i} or {\'i} ?

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Wed Jun 20 06:36:57 CEST 2007

On Jun 19, 2007, at 20:57, Nicholas Riley wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 08:02:37PM -0700, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>> Your instructions are correct.  You can also set BibDesk's TeX
>> preview
>> pane up to use XeLaTeX and BibDesk, so you can test formatting
>> options
>> pretty easily.  I know fontspec works in that environment, so I'm
>> mildly surprised that xunicode doesn't (as you suggest).
>
> xunicode works fine with BibTeX, though I don't currently have it
> configured for BibDesk previews because XeTeX is so slow to render
> (and my machine is old).  xunicode just, (seemingly) omits a
> definition for {\'\i} which the line I provided remedies.
>
> I am no longer confused about the difference between {\'\i} and {\'i},
> and it sounds like I'm best off avoiding the UTF-8 options in BibDesk
> (which I didn't know about).

There are BibDesk users who use BibTeX with non-European scripts, so
it apparently works sufficiently well for many cases.  The example of
the alpha style that Alan pointed to is an obvious failure (people who
use that style deserve what they get :), but the main problem is in
sorting.

If you save as UTF-8 in BibDesk with character conversion enabled,
BibDesk will convert everything it can to ASCII TeX sequences, then
fall back to UTF-8 for the leftovers.  If you save as ASCII you'll get
a warning when a character can't be converted to TeX, which can be
annoying; oftentimes it's an odd character in an abstract, which is
irrelevant for BibTeX.  YMMV.

--
Adam