[XeTeX] \font syntax

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Jul 31 15:14:08 CEST 2007

On 31 Jul 2007, at 1:51 pm, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Bruno Voisin wrote:
>> Le 31 juil. 07 à 13:27, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>>
>>> But I'm
>>> interested to hear what people think.... anyone else with
>>> opinions on
>>> this?
>>
>> The syntax "..." for a font name is slightly confusing, given double
>> quotes have for some time been used in TeX (at least on the Mac) to
>> delimit a file name, for example in a \special or \includegraphics
>> command, allowing the file name to include spaces.
>
> even more confusing is ...
>
> % \font\myfont =  msam7         % ok
> % \font\myfont = "msam7"        % also ok
> % \font\myfont = "msam7" at 8pt % error

Yes, I just discovered this "feature" when I tried a few experiments
intentional choice. This should definitely change, one way or
another....

> btw, did any of you run into
>
> (CID:/opt/tex/texmf/fonts/type1/public/lm/lmex10.pfb[PBEIFR
> +LMMathExtension10-Regular][CIDFontType0]
> ** WARNING ** Invalid CMap
> ** ERROR ** pdf_ref_obj(): passed invalid object.
>
> Output file removed.
>
> is that a bug or a configuration error?

I don't have time to research it today, but it's most likely an
xdvipdfmx bug.... lmex10 works fine for me in xelatex with xdvipdfmx,
but that's using the .otf font, not .pfb, so it's a different case.

I'll try to check on this, along with other xdvipdfmx issues.