[XeTeX] \font syntax

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Jul 31 14:59:41 CEST 2007

On Jul 31, 2007, at 7:56 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Personally I never completely understood what a font name is exactly
> (Full name, or PostScript name, or Unique name).

Name is what will show up in application interfaces and includes the
style

PostScript name is a (possibly shortened, e.g., ITC will be dropped,
descriptive phrases such as Caption may be abbreviated, e.g., Capt,
&c.) version w/o spaces and will include the style if present as a
suffix delimited by a hyphen

Unique Name is the PostScript name preceded by a version number and
vendor ID

On Jul 31, 2007, at 8:22 AM, John Was wrote:
> Could we perhaps have something like \extrafontdirs=d:/testfonts;
> c:/newfonts   etc. etc.
> allowing individual users to specify the locations of fonts on
> their own
> system?

That's already built into w32tex's implementation --- aren't you
updating the font directory resources?

from: http://www.fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp/kakuto/win32-ptex/web2c75-e.html

(3) Edit the section "Find fonts in these directories" in
     the file
     RootDir/share/texmf/fonts/conf/fonts.conf.
     The default content of the section is
   <dir>c:/windows/fonts</dir>
     If that is ok and you do not have additional directories
     for fonts, you need not edit the file fonts.conf.
     If the name of the directory of windows system fonts is
     different from c:/windows/fonts, you must edit the file
     fonts.conf. You can add directories for fonts if you have
     additional fonts. For example:
   <dir>c:/windows/fonts</dir>
   <dir>c:/w32tex/share/texmf/fonts/opentype/dnscreen</dir>
   <dir>c:/w32tex/share/texmf/fonts/opentype/adobe</dir>

In particular you probably need to change c:/windows/fonts to c:/
winnt/fonts

William

--
William Adams