[XeTeX] An (almost) complete cyrunicode.tex

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 12:19:40 CEST 2007

From: Nikola Lecic <nlecic at EUnet.yu>

>Apostolos, I wrote that text and I thought what I wrote. Macedonian is
>a modern Slavic language that is (by that name) recognised all over
>the world, i.e. on all professional Slavic departments of the world
>universities. And I know very well all Aristotle's works, I graduated
>philosophy.

I do not think so. The people who call themselves "Macedonians"
are slavic people and it is well documented that slavic people
come to this part of the world after the 8th century. Even if the
ancient Macedonians were not Greeks, which is definitely not the
case, it is more than unlikely that they spoke a slavic language.
So to say that "Macedonian" is a slavic language is at least
misleading and certainly not professional.

>I don't like your comment; such comments shouldn't be very welcome
>here. If you have professional arguments (linguistic, Aritotelian,
>etc.) that's ok, but this is a technical list.

Naturally I did not like yours and that is why I reacted. Since this
is a technical list, we have to be accurate. And it is totally inaccurate
to call this language Macedonian. As it is inaccurate to say that the
capital of the Byzantine Empire was Istanbul: the name of the city at
that time was  Constaninople, and this was the second name of the city,
which was originally called Byzantium.  Your "Macedonians" could have
invented a new name just like the Turks did. Do you see my point?

>Unfortunately, there is a lot of unresolved problems in this (our) part
>of the world (including a number of quasi-linguistic questions). As
>always, professionalism, avoiding fake arguments and scholarly culture
>are the best way to override them.

This is not an unresolved issue. It is an artificial problem created by
certain people for their own reason. And of course, this has nothing
to do with nationalism, as another poster hinted. Every nation has
its national heroes and Alexander the Great is such a person for
Greeks. He is everywhere, from fairy-tales, legends, popular songs, etc.
And we
to steal part of
our cultural and national identity and heritage.

Apostolos

*Apostolos Syropoulos                                          *
*snail mail: 366, 28th October Str., GR-671 00  Xanthi, HELLAS *
*email     : asyropoulos (at) yahoo (dot) com                  *
*phone num.: +30-2541-028704                                   *
*home page : http://obelix.ee.duth.gr/~apostolo                *