[XeTeX] An error with XeTeX (win32) and fontspec package under MiKTeX

Li Huihui huihui at pku.edu.cn
Fri Jan 5 02:01:03 CET 2007

Dear XeTeXers,

Thank Akira Kakuto for the win32 version of XeTeX. I use MiKTeX 2.4 on
my computer now, and I try to migrate the win32 version of XeTeX to the
MiKTeX distribution. I downloaded the file "xetex-w32.tar.bz2" (modified
date: 2006-12-27) from the website of W32TeX, then I did the following
steps:

(1) Expanded the file "xetex-w32.tar.bz2" in a temporary directory.

(2) Copied all files in the "bin" subdirectory into my directory for
binaries of MiKTeX "texmf/miktex/bin".

(3) Copied all directories and files under "share/texmf" into my TEXMF
directory.

(4) Because MiKTeX is not a completely Web2C-based TeX distribution and
it has its own directory structure which is a little different with TDS,
then I copied these files from TeXLive 2005 to my directory for binaries:
  tl90geturl.dll
  tl90gnu.dll
  tl90kpse.dll
  tl90mktex.dll
  tl90regex.dll
  mktexlsr.exe
  texmf.cnf

(5) Modified the "texmf.cnf" file according to the instruction on the
web page
(http://www.fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp/kakuto/win32-ptex/web2c75-e.html) and
the corresponding directories of MiKTeX.

(6) Installed the "lm" macro package with MiKTeX.

(6) Used command "mktexlsr.exe" to update "ls-R" and used command
"initexmf.exe -u" to update MiKTeX's own file name database.

(7) Edited the "fonts.conf" file and run a command "fc-cache -f -v" to
create cache files.

After all steps were done, I began to use XeLaTeX to compile this simple
file:
  \documentclass[12pt]{article}
  \usepackage{fontspec}
  \setromanfont{Minion Pro}
  \begin{document}
  Hello, world!
  \end{document}

But XeLaTeX reported error:
(c:/CTeX/texmf/tex/xetex/xelatex/euenc/lm/eu1lmr.fd)
! Font EU1/lmr/m/n/10=[lmroman10-regular] at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric
(TFM)
file or installed font not found.
<to be read again>
                   relax
l.100 \fontencoding\encodingdefault\selectfont

Some friends said the reason for the error may be the absence of the
Latin Modern OpenType font files, but I am sure that I put all .otf
files from "xetex-w32.tar.bz2" in the folder
texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm. So I think this error may be caused by
the "fontspec" macro package and the Latin Modern fonts, because there
is no problem if I remove the lines
"\usepackage{fontspec}\setromanfont{Minion Pro}" or use the "cm-default"
option with the fontspec package like "\setromanfont[cm-default]{Minion
Pro}". But I am not sure it is the fontspec's fault or the XeTeX's fault.

Does someone know why the error happens and how to solve it? Thanks very
much~

Huihui Li