[XeTeX] -o arg (was: using xetex in make)

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Aug 16 15:28:47 CEST 2007

Jonathan Kew wrote:
  > Does xetex support a "-o outfile" argument? (I don't think so!) The
> output file will be named \jobname.pdf, so if you want to control
> that from the command line you'll need to use the -jobname option.
> (And any options would have to come before the input filename, I think.)

FWIW, I get very different output on-screen with and without the -o
option.  Without it, I get the ff:
--------------
 > /usr/share/bin/x86_64-linux/xelatex test.xetex > test.pdf

** NOTICE: This document contains a `Preview & Print only' licensed font **

** NOTICE: This document contains an embedded font with licensing
restrictions **
--------------

With the -o, I get a whole lot of warning etc. msgs, things like
    Package Fancyhdr Warning: \headheight is too small (12.0pt)
They seem to be similar to, but not all the same as, what goes into the
.log file.

When I use re-direction (the first method above, these warnings appear
to go into the .pdf file.  I suspect if I redirected only stdout, the
warnings would go to the terminal instead.  But they seem to do that
with the -o option anyway, so I'm using that.  (I suppose one of the
other options would turn off the msgs, maybe the -interaction flag.)

Is your Latex so clean that you don't get any warnings?

BTW, how do I determine what font has the licensing restrictions
(referred to in the above 'NOTICE')?  I don't see anything in the .log file.
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
	"Theorists...have merely to lock themselves in a room
	with a blackboard and coffee maker to conduct their business."
	--Bruce A. Schumm, Deep Down Things