[XeTeX] -o arg (was: using xetex in make)

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Aug 16 15:52:02 CEST 2007

On 16 Aug 2007, at 2:28 pm, Mike Maxwell wrote:

> Jonathan Kew wrote:
>> Does xetex support a "-o outfile" argument? (I don't think so!) The
>> output file will be named \jobname.pdf, so if you want to control
>> that from the command line you'll need to use the -jobname option.
>> (And any options would have to come before the input filename, I
>> think.)
>
> FWIW, I get very different output on-screen with and without the -o
> option.

Not because of -o, but because you're *also* changing the handling of
stdout (see below).

>   Without it, I get the ff:
> --------------
>> /usr/share/bin/x86_64-linux/xelatex test.xetex > test.pdf
>
> ** NOTICE: This document contains a `Preview & Print only' licensed
> font **
>
> ** NOTICE: This document contains an embedded font with licensing
> restrictions **
> --------------
>
> With the -o, I get a whole lot of warning etc. msgs, things like
>     Package Fancyhdr Warning: \headheight is too small (12.0pt)
> They seem to be similar to, but not all the same as, what goes into
> the
> .log file.

Your -o has no effect on any of this.

If you use > to redirect stdout, TeX/LaTeX's warnings and other
messages go to wherever you direct them (rather than to the screen).
It definitely doesn't make any sense to send that stuff to a .pdf file!

Neither stdout redirection nor -o will affect where the actual
typeset output is written; that is simply based on TeX's idea of the
job name. The typeset output is never written to standard output.

> When I use re-direction (the first method above, these warnings appear
> to go into the .pdf file.  I suspect if I redirected only stdout, the
> warnings would go to the terminal instead.  But they seem to do that
> with the -o option anyway, so I'm using that.  (I suppose one of the
> other options would turn off the msgs, maybe the -interaction flag.)
>
> Is your Latex so clean that you don't get any warnings?

No, some "warnings" are normal. If you want to redirect them
somewhere other than the terminal, that's fine, but it doesn't make
sense to send them to a .pdf file.

> BTW, how do I determine what font has the licensing restrictions
> (referred to in the above 'NOTICE')?  I don't see anything in
> the .log file.

That message comes from xdvipdfmx (which is why it behaves separately
from your redirection of xetex's terminal messages, I guess). I'm
afraid it doesn't tell you which font the message refers to, though
if you run it with the -v option, you may be able to tell what it's
working on at the time. But the next version will make these messages
a bit more informative, I hope.