[XeTeX] I can't find the format file `xelatex.fmt'!

maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Aug 9 17:03:07 CEST 2007

Bruno Voisin wrote:
> Le 9 août 07 à 06:06, Mike Maxwell a écrit :
>> What am I doing wrong?  Is there another way to create this elusive
>> xelatex/xelatex.fmt file?
>
> Have you tried running in sequence:
>
> fmtutil --disablefmt xelatex
> fmtutil --enablefmt xelatex

Tried that just now, and verified that after these two commands, there is
a line for xelatex, which looks like:
  xelatex         xetex   language.dat    -etex xelatex.ini
Then I ran fmtutil using that cnffile, in several ways: with --missing,
--refresh, etc.  There is still no directory for xelatex (but there is one
for xetex).  In fact I see no indication that it's even *trying* to create
the xelatex stuff.

OK, I looked at fmtutil --help again, and ran 'fmtutil  --listcfg'.  xetex
is listed, but not xelatex.  So I presume there must be something wrong
with the installation of xelatex.  The executable is there (appears to be
identical to the xetex executable, but I believe that's normal).  The
fmtutil help msg says the listcfg command "list (enabled and disabled)
configurations, filtered to available formats".  If I'm understanding that
correctly, xelatex is not an "available format."  I have no idea why not.

And that's as far as I've gotten this morning.  Thanks for trying!

   Mike Maxwell
   CASL/ U MD