[XeTeX] tex-text and more quotes

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 08:56:05 CEST 2007

>The question is: do your (or anyones') documents
>contain << ,, or >> in text (not math) that would be rendered
>incorrectly by the proposed change in tex-text? You can argue about
>the inelegance of the system, but truthfully it's ugly to use `` '' --
>and so on in the first place.
I really do not understand why is it a problem to have more than one
mapping file? I think this feature was introduced to allow flexibility.
Otherwise, these "ligatures" would have been hard-wired into XeTeX
iyself. I agree that it is ugly to use -- --- etc., but these "ligatures"
are documented in every book, user manual, etc. on TeX, while the others
are sort of recent developments. But if you do insist in this, then please consider
including (( and )) to expand to « and », respectively, since many Greek TeX users
use these "ligatures"...
Regards,
A.S.

*Apostolos Syropoulos                                          *
*snail mail: 366, 28th October Str., GR-671 00  Xanthi, HELLAS *
*email     : asyropoulos (at) yahoo (dot) com                  *
*phone num.: +30-2541-028704                                   *
*home page : http://obelix.ee.duth.gr/~apostolo                *
*blog : http://asyropoulos.wordpress.com/                      *