[XeTeX] Syriac: Text Direction

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Mon Apr 30 09:36:41 CEST 2007

François Charette a écrit :
> For typesetting Syriac with UTF-8 input I suggest you use the more
> generic package bidi instead (also on CTAN) :
> http://dante.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/bidi.html

To clarify what I just wrote: ArabXeTeX relies entirely on bidi for
directional control. So for bidirectional typesetting in xelatex, I
recommend using bidi instead of low-level commands by means of \beginR,
\beginL, etc. This will give you a much more robust control of
directionality in a LaTeX environment, even with packages that interact
with \everypar, and will allow you to control direction of plain
footnotes. (And if you think support for generating numerals in Syriac
abjad would be useful, I'd be happy to implement it.)

FC