[XeTeX] "new-babel", was: Ancient Greek hyphenation

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Sat Apr 21 18:54:49 CEST 2007

> I agree with Will that before creating an "xbabel taskforce" we should
> certainly exchange some thoughts and do some serious brainstorming
> with
> people like Javier Besos, Alexej and others. But I don't think we
> should
> just simply revamp Babel to make it compatible with XeTeX. It would be
> better IMHO to implement a package (or collection of packages) for
> multilingual typesetting  with XeTeX that is as modular, light-weight
> and flexible as possible. It should not impose rigid norms on the
> user.
> I am no Babel expert, but what I know of it makes me believe Bruno is
> right: starting more or less from scratch will probably pay off much
> more in the long-run.

Not that I can be of any real help here, but it would probably be
wise to coordinate any action in this area with the LuaTeX people
(currently mainly Taco). Although I don't know much about the
technical details, I'm pretty sure they will face similar questions
at some point and a generic solution for a next generation babel
which would work with both XeTeX and LuaTeX would surely be a Good
Thing.

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I'm not that easy to impress. – O, a blue car." Homer Simpson