[XeTeX] tabular getting flattened into one line

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Sep 19 21:49:17 CEST 2006

On 19 Sep 2006, at 2:38 am, Cyril wrote:

> I'm having a bit of a problem with some tables at the end of a
> document that get squished into one line. If I typeset the tabular
> element on its own in LaTeX it works, and gives me more or less
> what I want, but it does not want to cooperate in the bigger
> document with XeLaTex.
> I finally [while running last tests  when writing this email] found
> that it was linked to this:
>
> %underfullbox vbox
> % http://www.tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2005-March/001900.html
> \lineskiplimit=-1000pt
> \renewcommand\baselinestretch{1.9}
> \raggedbottom
>
> which I was using to get rid of those messages:
> Underfull \vbox (badness 10000) has occurred while \output is
> active [316]
> of which I have one for each page almost.
> Commenting them out gives me the tables alright though...
> Why are these things linked?

It looks to me like the default line spacing (baselineskip) is
getting set very small for some reason; then the highly negative
\lineskiplimit allows text in adjacent lines to overlap, rather than
the line spacing expanding according to the size of the glyphs.

But why the line spacing is tiny (or zero?) to start with is a
puzzle. I think we'd need to see a more complete minimal example to
solve that.