[XeTeX] ArabXeTeX pre-release

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Nov 28 17:28:35 CET 2006

Le 28 nov. 06 à 16:38, Anas Ghrab a écrit :

> This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.99b (Web2C 7.5.3)
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt xetex.fmt
> fmtutil: format directory `/Users/anas/Library/texmf/web2c' does not
> exist.
> I can't find the format file `xetex.fmt'!

XeTeX shouldn't be looking, on OS X, for format files inside ~/
Library/texmf/web2c/, these should have been created at install time
inside /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/ (teTeX-based setup)
or /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/web2c/ (TeXLive-based setup).

This probably comes from using fmtutil instead of fmtutil-sys, or
using sudo inappropriately. This has been a tricky issue on OS X ever
since the choice of per-user vs. system-wide configurations has been
introduced one or two years ago in teTeX and TeXLive, and this has
generated innumerable threads and bug reports on the OS X TeX list.

The correct invocation should be, I think:

	sudo -H fmtutil-sys

for a system-wide setup, and

	fmtutil

for a per-user setup. Using instead "sudo fmtutil" would result in
root-owned files in the user home directory, creating havoc. What you
see can be the result of this.

Gerben Wierda has recently provided a fix in the latest versions of
the TeX i-Package, in which fmtutil (and similarly updmap) is made to
behave as fmtutil-sys (and updmap-sys), effectively prohibiting per-
user setups. This ensures backwards compatibility with the former
incarnations of fmtutil and updmap.

Hence, I would advise to run the Configure stage of the TeX i-Package
in Expert mode, and, when asked at the very end of the process, to
allow for compatibility measures to be taken. I'm not sure whether
this also suppresses any mishapen format file in ~/Library/texmf/
web2c/, as is required. I don't have time to check now, but you could
try to turn to the OS X TeX list for more help.

Bruno Voisin