[XeTeX] Final word on Greek hyphenation?

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Thu Nov 23 12:00:37 CET 2006

Yves Codet wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Le 22 nov. 06 à 21:54, jeffdod at netzero.net a écrit :
>
>> Could someone perhaps post a run-down of what the current procedure
>> is for enabling hyphenation of Greek text with XeTeX? Thanks!
> [...]
>
> greek   xgrahyph.tex
>
> Recreate your xetex and xelatex formats. If your file is entirely in
> Greek, you should write:
>
> \language=\ancientgreek

Yesterday I had to install XeTeX on a new machine and I had the same
problem installing xetex-greek.

Which is the gain of defining \newlanguage\ancientgreek in xgrahyph.tex?
I had to comment this line and also \language\ancientgreek to get
ancient Greek hyphenation working.

If one can add only one hyphenation pattern file to greek in
language.dat, I wonder why defining \newlanguage\ancientgreek (or
\newlanguage\moderngreek) makes any sense, because compatibility with
other LaTeX and Lambda documents is broken.

But I guess I'm missing something. Could anyone explain me why the
definition of \newlanguage\ancientgreek makes sense?

Thanks,

Pablo