[XeTeX] Missing characters

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Nov 11 15:14:39 CET 2006

On Nov 11, 2006, at 7:29 AM, Stephen Moye wrote:

> If I use XeTeX with CM (not something that I am in the habit of doing
> -- discovering this was an accident) with something like this:
>
> %%=====8><=====%%
>
> %!TEX TS-program = xetex
> %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
>
> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Morbi
> commodo, ipsum sed pharetra gravida, orci magna rhoncus neque, id
> pulvinar odio lorem non turpis. Nullam sit amet enim. Suspendisse id
> velit vitae ligula volutpat condimentum. Aliquam erat volutpat. Sed
> quis velit. Nulla facilisi. Nulla libero. Vivamus pharetra posuere
> sapien. Nam consectetuer. Sed aliquam, nunc eget euismod ullamcorper,
> lectus nunc ullamcorper orci, fermentum bibendum enim nibh eget
> ipsum. Donec porttitor ligula eu dolor. Maecenas vitae nulla
> consequat libero cursus venenatis. Nam magna enim, accumsan eu,
> blandit sed, blandit a, eros.
>
> % <Enough text to go onto a second page>
>
> \bye
>
> %%=====8><=====%%
>
> The first four characters of each page are missing: there is space
> for them, but they are not there. If there is only a very small of
> text in the document the problem does not manifest itself, nor if I
> use, say:
>
> \font\test="Hoefler Text" at 10pt \test
>
> The console shows this:
>
> %%=====8><=====%%
>
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.995 (Web2C 7.5.5)
> entering extended mode
> (./testthis2.tex [1] [2] )
> Output written on testthis2.pdf (2 pages).
> Transcript written on testthis2.log.
>
> %%=====8><=====%%
>

> SGM

Howdy,

Sorry, but I'm not seeing this. I'm still using Gerben's teTeX
distribution on PPC (Powerbook) with the XeTeX 0.995 i-package
installed. My xetex.engine is using xdvipdfm for the conversion from
xdv to pdf.

I've experienced situations where all sorts of crazy things happen
with OS X's pdf display (both Preview and TeXShop) and only a re-boot
fixed it up. Been occasionally  happening to me since 10.4.6.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest.com)