[XeTeX] Free download: Microsoft Office 2007 beta 2

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon May 29 23:20:10 CEST 2006

On 29 May 2006, at 9:57 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> What I meant was that, given MS Office 2007 Beta installs only on
> Windows, there was no way to use the OpenType fonts that it provides
> with XeTeX, on either Mac OS X or Linux. I thought that was what your
> post was about. Thanks for the clarifcation.

With a little ingenuity, there would probably be ways around that. I
haven't read all the legalese yet.... suppose one mounted such a
Windows volume via SMB on a Linux machine, and added the appropriate
directory to fontconfig's search paths, so that xetex on the linux
box could access the fonts directly from the windows machine?

Alternatively, an enterprising user could take the XeTeX Linux code
and compile it on Windows.... ;)

> Actually I was suspecting your message was a troll, something unusual
> on this list. Glad to know this is not the case!

In addition to his undoubted expertise on all things font-ish, and
his long-standing interest in TeX, Adam has been encouraging and
supportive towards XeTeX since he first saw it. I don't have any
concerns about his motivation in posting. :)