[XeTeX] accessing fonts from TeX tree and glyphs without Unicode slot

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Thu May 4 17:45:23 CEST 2006

On 04/05/2006, at 23:50 , Jonathan Kew wrote:

>> Alternatively, it doesn't seem unreasonable to distribute Gentium or
>> something with XeTeX and pre-load that font in the format instead of
>> the archaic CM...
>
> The question here is whether the xetex and xelatex formats should try
> to behave exactly like standard Plain TeX and LaTeX by default, until
> the user specifically starts adding/changing things in the document.
>
> At the moment, I'm inclined to keep the current situation...

Yes, that's probably sensible. Not sure if that statement precludes
OpenType LM, though :) I would be inclined to suggest that the
differences are minimal enough to be worth ignoring, but there might
be other ramifications I haven't thought about.

Anyway, I went into this topic under the assumption of using a
package to load this stuff, and only later broadened by view to
consider changing the format. Going back to that original idea, it
doesn't seem so bad.

How about, instead of specifying paths (or maybe as well as), XeTeX
font search paths could be specified that don't hard code a font's
position on a users HD, but rather just allow a font that's not "in
the system" to be accessed...

Will