[XeTeX] accessing fonts from TeX tree and glyphs without Unicode slot

Adam Twardoch list.adam at twardoch.com
Thu May 4 17:10:49 CEST 2006

Will Robertson wrote:
 > As I recall you were complaining how it just doesn't make sense to
 > have system-installed fonts when your collection has grown to many
 > thousands. Unfortunately, most of us aren't in that situation :)

That's not the only case. Another case is when you try to use fonts that
have nominally the same internal font names but are located in different
locations. At BachoTeX, Karel Píška showed his way of comparing various
versions of related fonts
(http://www.gust.org.pl/BachoTeX/2006/abstracts/26en.html). Such
approach would be quite useful for font production and development, and
the ability to mix several versions of nominally the same font would be
great.

 > I prefer the idea of Jonathan's to have an extended syntax to access
 > fonts, something along the lines of
 >    \XeTeXfont\caslonsc = "ACaslonPro-Regular" path "D:\fontslib\Adobe
 > \" features "+smcp" at 16pt

That does make sense. Actually, this would be the only reasonable
solution for .ttc fonts since they can contain several fonts identified
by different menu names, all in one file.

Jonathan writes:

 > At the moment, I'm inclined to keep the current situation, where in
 > principle you can take a Plain TeX or standard LaTeX document, run
 > it  with XeTeX, and get the same output

I definitely support that view. The TeX community tends to be rather
conservative when it comes to their existing documents. XeTeX should
attempt to maintain backwards compatibility at least within reasonable
boundaries, to make people's transition from older TeX systems into
XeTeX easier.

A.

--

Adam Twardoch