[XeTeX] description of the XeTeX mailing list

Steven Shaviro shaviro at shaviro.com
Thu May 4 16:04:20 CEST 2006

On 5/3/06, Ross Moore wrote:

> BTW, there were three new subscriptions overnight.
> Are these all Linux users ?

No, I have been using LaTeX on the Mac for several years now. I
subscribed here because I have just started using XeTex.

I hesitated over doing this, because once I make the switch there is
really no going back -- I am aware that xunicode.sty provides
backwards compatibility for older LaTeX documents, but once I write
new documents taking advantage of XeTeX's unicode features
(particularly with regards to things like quotation marks and foreign
letters with diacritical marks) it would be a hassle to return to the
older, straightforward LaTeX (not to mention that the documents will
no longer cross platforms transparently, on the rare occasions that I
need to use a Windows machine).

But I decided that the advantages of XeTeX, both in regard to input
and font flexibility, were worth it.

Steven Shaviro shaviro at shaviro.com
http://www.shaviro.com
The Pinocchio Theory: