[XeTeX] follow uo to previous problem

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon May 1 14:22:40 CEST 2006

On May 1, 2006, at 5:27 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 1 May 2006, at 7:13 am, Will Robertson wrote:
>
>> On 01/05/2006, at 11:32 , Alex Hamann wrote:
>>
>>> I am currently trying to understand why after the LaTex update the
>>> space in the file name became a problem. To clarify: the same file
>>> was XeLaTexed fine before the update.
>>
>> Do you mean the very recent new release of LaTeX via the separate
>> LaTeX update in i-Installer? It shouldn't be too difficult to work
>> out what they changed...
>
> I believe there have been some fairly recent changes in pdfTeX
> related to filenames with spaces; perhaps changes were made in LaTeX
> as a result of this, and have had the side-effect of affecting the
> behavior with XeTeX.
>
> But I'm only guessing at this point; I haven't tried the new LaTeX
> stuff myself.
>
> JK

Howdy,

After updating to the latest LaTeX I just tested two version of a
file; one for pdflatex and one for xelatex. I added a space in the
name of each file and compiled. Indeed, the pdflatex compile
proceeded to completion while I got the failure to compile via
xelatex. I didn't try this before the update though.

In general I learned a long time ago (TeXtures days!) not to put
spaces in .tex file names. I remember getting a fairly nasty note
from TeXtures support when I complained about that behavior. I've
never used spaces in .tex file names since then. Since I first
started with PCTeX under PCDOS 6.1 with 8+3 file names having long
descriptive file names without spaces still was wonderful.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest.com)