[XeTeX] Bookmarks, PDF Title in Unicode [without \special{pdf:tounicode}]

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jun 21 19:19:25 CEST 2006

On 21 Jun 2006, at 10:22 am, Toralf Senger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The enhancement of Timothy Eyre to have Unicode Bookmarks using
>
> \AtBeginDvi{\special{pdf:tounicode UTF8-UCS2}}
>
> works very nicely once I found the UTF8-UCS2 mapping in the
> internet (using his "EUC-UCS2" example gave chinese chars for every
> Ö,Ä,Ü etc). Just one question: Is it possible to extend this
> feature so that it also works for PDF-informations like title,
> subject, keywords?

As of this afternoon, the latest xdvipdfmx code in Subversion
includes Unicode support for bookmarks (etc).... this is obviously
prompted by Timothy's contribution, but implemented in a slightly
different way.

With this implementation, the Unicode support is automatic; you
should *not* include a pdf:tounicode special in the source document.
(That is still supported, so that the driver could still be used with
non-Unicode TeX systems and tounicode mappings, but it should not be
needed for Unicode/xetex.)

Feedback is welcome; it seems to work in my small tests (even
including bookmarks with supplementary-plane text, although not all
viewers display them properly; Reader 7.0 does, though).