[XeTeX] stupid question: Simple TeX Installation tool for Mac OS X available?

Joachim Trinkwitz jtr at uni-bonn.de
Wed Jun 7 17:23:54 CEST 2006

Am 06.06.2006 um 23:12 schrieb Hans-Michael Stahl:

> While trying to update to the latest version of xetex, I managed to
> completely damage my once working TeX installation with the geek-tool
> "i-installer" :-(  After that, I dumped more than 700 MByte of strange
> files under /usr/local/tetex into my wastebasket ...

Why should one call a tool which works great for several years not
only for me but for many many others a "geek tool"? - Sounds like you
have a mix of several TeX distros, not only Gerben's one ... Did you
notice the "Uninstall" button in i-installer's UI?

Sure, at some point you should clean out your (obviously not quite
working) installation and begin at the beginning ... I myself did
this two years ago (using the said button and rm'ing the rest
manually) and it turned out not to be i-installer's fault, but my
own, and now I happily update my TeX installation once a week or so
(necessary to stay up to date with ConTeXt :^) ) without any problems.

Of course you should confine yourself to strictly install your own
packages in ~/Library/texmf/ instead of tampering with the /usr/
local/ directory tree, a healthy habit which prevented any serious
annoyances when I purged the system that time.

Regards,
joachim

Dr. Joachim Trinkwitz     E-Mail: jtr at uni-bonn.de
Germanistisches Seminar   Tel.: 0228-737565
der Universität Bonn      Fax: 0228-737479
Am Hof 1d, 53113 Bonn     www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de