[XeTeX] Problem with tremas

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Jun 6 12:34:28 CEST 2006

Am 06.06.2006 um 12:17 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> I think it's the same word as in German: umlaut.

Not exactly: we have only three lower case and three upper case
umlauts that appear on printed paper like a vowel with two dots on
them, but when hand-written the dots become short more or less
vertical and parallel lines (like hungarumlauts, but less declined),
and these characters are part of the 'sound' (don't imagine the right
word for the pronounced syllable). A trema (Greek) (unlike a
dieresis, Greek, too) is always two dots -- and it separates, as in
(French) naïf, Citroën, Caën!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Behold the warranty ... the bold print giveth and the fine print
taketh away.