[XeTeX] Hyperref problem

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jul 21 09:54:59 CEST 2006

On 21 Jul 2006, at 8:41 am, Ross Moore wrote:

>> The following sample shows this behaviour :
>>
>> \documentclass[11pt,a4paper,dvipdfm]{article}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \usepackage{xunicode}
>> \usepackage[unicode]{hyperref}
>> \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Minion Pro}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>> L'objectif primaire de l'étude était d'évaluer l'efficacité
>> \section { étude 001}
>> \subsection {étude 001-1}
>> \vspace{5cm}
>> étrange comme c'est étrange.
>> \section {étude HPV 001}Some long text
>>
>> \end{document}
>
> With this example, and XeTeX on MacOSX
>     This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.94 (Web2C 7.5.3)

Note that this is not the latest xetex code.....

> I get the following error:
>
> (/Users/rossmoor/texmf/tex/latex/hyperref/nameref.sty) (./
> bmarktest.out)
> (./bmarktest.out)
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> \HyPL at Labels ->0 << /P (\3
>                            76\377) /S /D >>
> l.9 \begin{document}
>
> ?
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> \HyPL at Labels ->0 << /P (\376\3
>                                77) /S /D >>
> l.9 \begin{document}
>

> But just pushing on, it finishes OK,
> and the Bookmarks all look fine!
>

>> I guess [unicode] to hypperef is a bad idea ?
>
> Without the [unicode] option, the Bookmarks still
> look fine, and there is no such error as above.
>
> So the [unicode] option seems to be redundant,
> and just mildly (for me) destructive.

You're running a version of xetex where bookmarks (and anything
relying on \special, etc) will not fully support Unicode; I think it
works OK for you in this example because the characters are limited
to Latin-1, but it would fail with Chinese or Arabic or Hindi etc.

The latest xetex code (not sure if this is in the current Mac
release, or only the pre-release sources) includes more complete
Unicode support in this area, but a side-effect may be that it works
*worse* in combination with something like [unicode]{hyperref},
because of the conflicting attempts to process Unicode encoding forms!