[XeTeX] Hyperref problem

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Jul 21 09:41:51 CEST 2006

Hi Jacques, Jonathan, and others

On 21/07/2006, at 3:52 PM, jropers at freesurf.fr wrote:

> Ross Moore wrote:
>> Others are saying that they do not have this trouble, with
>>    [dvipdfm] or [dvipdfmx] drivers.
>> Perhaps a different mechanism is then being used to get
>> the Unicode string from the UTF8 LaTeX source ?
>>

> Hi Ross,
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> I have found that there is some interaction with the option
> [unicode] given to hyperef (I probably read somewhere the
> suggestion to include it but I don't remember where).

The [unicode] option is needed with pdfTeX, and that's
what my previous comments were about.
I've not actually used it with XeTeX, and it was with
UTF8 input for XeTeX where your examples were failing.

As Jonathan says, it adds an extra layer of interpretation
of byte-codes, where perhaps there are other methods
available that would conflict with this.

> With it there are some bookmarks errors (curiously not at the first
> compilation but only from the second).
> Without it, it seems to be ok (again it may necessitate 2
> compilations to get rid of the error).

Yes; it always takes 2 compilations for changes to become apparent.
The Bookmarks are built from the .out file of the previous run.

> The following sample shows this behaviour :
>
> \documentclass[11pt,a4paper,dvipdfm]{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \usepackage{xunicode}
> \usepackage[unicode]{hyperref}
> \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Minion Pro}
>
> \begin{document}
> L'objectif primaire de l'étude était d'évaluer l'efficacité
> \section { étude 001}
> \subsection {étude 001-1}
> \vspace{5cm}
> étrange comme c'est étrange.
> \section {étude HPV 001}Some long text
>
> \end{document}

With this example, and XeTeX on MacOSX
    This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.94 (Web2C 7.5.3)

I get the following error:

(/Users/rossmoor/texmf/tex/latex/hyperref/nameref.sty) (./bmarktest.out)
(./bmarktest.out)
! Undefined control sequence.
\HyPL at Labels ->0 << /P (\3
                           76\377) /S /D >>
l.9 \begin{document}

?
! Undefined control sequence.
\HyPL at Labels ->0 << /P (\376\3
                               77) /S /D >>
l.9 \begin{document}

But just pushing on, it finishes OK,
and the Bookmarks all look fine!

> I guess [unicode] to hypperef is a bad idea ?

Without the [unicode] option, the Bookmarks still
look fine, and there is no such error as above.

So the [unicode] option seems to be redundant,
and just mildly (for me) destructive.

> Thanks again.
>

> Jacques.

It's nice to get a solution that removes unnecessary coding,
rather than requiring more coding to get a fix.

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au