[XeTeX] Hyphenation again…

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Jul 15 18:12:16 CEST 2006

Le 14 juil. 06 à 18:11, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> On 14 Jul 2006, at 4:58 pm, Florian Grammel wrote:
>
>> Do you already have an idea when you'll release 0.995?
>> That's not to push you: I'm just considering, whether to wait with
>> fixing odd hyphenations in this current project until then, or
>> whether to enter the proper ones by hand whereever needed.
>
> [...]
>
> One option is to download the source and compile it yourself; this
> will give you a "pre-0.995" version that includes this bug-fix. It
> should be a fairly painless process, provided you have the Xcode
> tools installed; just takes a while (depending on the speed of your
> machine). See the "XeTeX for Linux" page for notes on getting and
> compiling the latest code from the Subversion repository.

As an additional incentive: I'm not a developer, and the mere thought
of typing configure and make is creating fear ripples propagating
along my backbone -- thinking I'm about to lose control of my
computer and shall possibly never get it back should something go wrong.

But with XeTeX it's really a breeze. Download a tarball, then in
Terminal cd to the directory so created and type:

	sh build-xetex
	sudo sh install-xetex

The first line will compile XeTeX, and the second line will install
it and all its support files (creating these if needed, for example
xetex.fmt and xelatex.fmt) at the appropriate places. sh is there to
avoid having first to use chmod to make the scripts build-xetex and
install-xetex executables; otherwise you would need:

	chmod +x build-xetex
	./build-xetex
	chmod +x install-xetex
	sudo ./install-xetex

The compilation will take some time and use some significant cpu
power; as Jonathan put it:

> Le 19 mai 06 à 12:42, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
> On 19 May 2006, at 11:32 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> Only problem was, the fan of my 1 GHz 17" PowerBook
>> G4 has been spinning like mad during most of the compilation.
>
> A little regular exercise helps keep your CPU fit and strong! :)

Of course, you need to have installed XCode first.

Bruno Voisin