[XeTeX] Howto "mark" languages / BiBTeX / and more :-)

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Wed Jan 18 16:22:55 CET 2006

On Jan 18, 2006, at 03:39, Martin Henning wrote:

> and that is not all! (ok, this might actually fit on OS X TeX...
> hope you don't mind it here...) as of now i'm still wondering what
> i am doing wrong with bibtex... i am able to generate a preview of
> the .bib-file in bibdesk, so i figured i'd use the settings from
> the preview template in my .tex file, but nothing works out at all.
>
> just before the \end{document}
>
> i have this:
>
> \bibliographystyle{abbrv}
> \bibliography{bib/pican_1}

Should be fine, as long as bib/pican_1.bib exists.

> with pican_1 being a .bib-file from bibdesk. i inserted a citation
> with \cite{robot}, but all i get is errors:
>
> [1] (./content/intro.tex
> LaTeX Warning: Citation `robot' on page 2 undefined on input line 3.
> ) [2]
> No file pican.bbl.
> (./pican.aux)
> LaTeX Warning: There were undefined references.
> )
>
> so why is he looking for a .bbl-file?! it seems to me, that i
> didn't understand some really basic stuff about the system, but my
> code looks like in all the howtos on the net? i have \usepackage
> {natbib}, but i guess it doesn't matter for the style i used... ?

Did you forget to run the bibtex program itself?  Something like

xelatex intro.tex
bibtex intro.tex
xelatex intro.tex
xelatex intro.tex

is required to generate the .bbl file and process the references
properly.

> what is really strange (or normal?) about all of the styles i can
> choose from... NONE of them is able to actually print out the URL
> if the reference is an url in bibdesk - why is that? looked at the
> files for the styles, but it seems to me that it would take some
> time to actually edit one to make it do what i need - someone must
> have done it before :)

Some of the natbib variants print the URL; try using abbrvnat instead
of abbrv for the style.  You should also use hyperref.sty or url.sty,
which properly handle line breaks and special characters in URLs.
See <http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=citeURL> for more
details.

hope this helps,
Adam